Saturday, October 25, 2008

Time is relative

One of my least favorite quotes of all time is "Time is money.".
Time is life.

It has been a mere 12 days since my last post but it seems like it has been forever ago. Every day flies by so fast. One of my teachers said we were already on week 4 of the program! We are in testing times... as in we just had our A&P test last week and this week we have both Shiatsu and Anatomiken. I got 100% on my A&P test and plan to get the same on all of my tests. I am learning what I need to do to be happy and productive in school. Still loving all but one of my classes. My respect for my teachers here has done nothing but grown, and I have even found a niche in the student social order.
My role in social life is one of giving. It feels really good. My best friend here right now is a beautiful 6' tall free spirit. I go to her place every morning and cook for her (Kelsey) and her roommates. The 5 of us eat together and joke and listen to music and then we go to school. If I made extra I bring it and give it out at school. Our food is 90% dumpstered and they offer me the 10% since I cook and clean for B-fast and lunch. It works out well for everyone. Last week there was a young Dutch woman staying there and she gave me the greatest complement. "You could be European". Speaking of being, I still don't feel at home. Last night I went to a comedy show and since we got home late and Kelsey was away I decided to crash in her bed for the night. I didn't think of the eventuality of being woken up buy 4 half dressed fully drunken people. I thought it was pretty great at the time but it stirred some conflict in myself. I decided to go down and watch the party for a bit. When 2 friends ran off to have sex it was like watering my little seeds of discontent. I hung out with Jessy (a big attractive really drunk guy) and Sarah (a cute girl) while Jessy told me everything from the fact that he hated me asked me why I hated him, to the fact that I am a freak, to the fact that he respected me for how I handled my space and that he couldn't control me. The first statement I think has little significance and was accompanied by a fib about a gift I gave to him being a poor gift. The second statement highlights the fact that I don't really fit in. The third is part and parcel with the second. Anyway, after he passed out I asked Sarah if she wanted to cuddle with me, which she didn't, and I went off to bed. Leading to the discontent I was talking about. I feel alone on many levels. The persona I chose here is going to be great for getting work done but not one which will likely lead to sexual affairs. I choose this very intentionally so that I don't get distracted from school but it's difficult none the less. Other levels of intimacy are being quelled by calling family and friends more often.
Speaking of family. I just had a great conversation with Merrin. In the last part we talked about change. I have realized that although I have changed the superficial aspects of myself many times in many ways there are parts of myself that have hardly changed or not changed at all in my life. This is an important thought for me because change has always been a major focus of my life. We also spoke of priorities and the difference between "setting" priorities and observing priorities. I have previously mentioned that I am not really believing in a free will a such so much. In the A&P world apparently there is a big debate about what "controls" cells. It has been traditionally held that the nucleus controls the cell but now people are saying that the cell membrane controls the cell... Where is the self of the cell? Can I say that "I" am the self of the cell? Excepting mitochondria it is my DNA after all is it not? (did you know that the "power plant" of your cells is not even made of your DNA?) What's my point? I don't know.

1 comment:

Jiling 林基玲 said...

yay updates!
boo loneliness
and boo stuffy nose, sore throat
weee to being strong and unique
and yay to love!
i see you sooooon :D