Friday, October 10, 2008

Fortunate Friday.

Everyday in shiatsu we have a "student of the day". Since people were reluctant to volunteer I put myself out there. Yesterday was my big day. In the morning I still didn't know what I was going to do, something to do with yoga... My first thought was to stand on my head for 5 minutes but in the days since I volunteered I have heard allot of ignorant talk about yoga that standing on my head might encourage. My next idea was to give a talk on what yoga is, but that seemed to boring. I asked Eileen and she suggested that I teach the sun salutations. Thinking that everyone must know the sun salutations I decided to do a round and talk about yoga in pose. I started out saying that yoga is not about the body and then into hatha or "forceful" yoga. I was nervous and thought I did a really poor job when Sarah F the teacher asked me if I would lead the class in a round. I did and still felt like I did a terrible job. Afterwards 3 people gave me high fives and several people thanked me. Maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought.

I am starting to feel comfortable working on the table and excited to learn a little Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)

Fridays are great, I only have one class!
After class I met one of the Kenyan Olympic team massage therapists. He was a very nice. I asked him if I could do an internship with the Kenyan team and he gave me his contact info both here and in Kenya. It sounds like I can do some volunteer work with them and figure it out from there. What a cool idea!
Our conversation was cut short because I had a massage. As a student I get $15 student massages! It's not quite as good as a professional massage but it's definitely good. There were also a few unexpected benefits. He talked to me about different muscles and helped me understand where they were, and his teacher came in and I got to listen to her sort of 1 on 1 lesson with him. Besides that she also worked on me a little, and helped me understand what's up with my back.
Due to yoga I have allot of mobility, which is good and much to the dismay of Jacob I can also take a tremendous amount of pressure. She said I need orthopedic massage to help my alignment. I felt awesome afterward!
My bike ride home was great! My posture was so different that I fell like I need to readjust my bike to fit the new posture!
Speaking of bikes... I am doing the Community Cycles "earn a bike program". I put in 10 hours and they will give me a frame and parts to work on! I should get my new frame today! I am bringing in some treats today as well so that I get extra help working on my bike! Thanks for the tip Dad, and you thought I never learned anything from you!

Next I went to Shambala to sit. I only had about 30 min but it I felt some nice emotional releases.

1 comment:

Jiling 林基玲 said...

lotsa EXCLAMATION MARKS!!! in this one. yaaay :) i'm happy for you

love,j