Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3-10
Yesterday went well. We biked only 8 miles the day before. After the accident we decided not to bike further and slept in the city, behind a dentist office. Jaz was not comfortable with the location at first but I told her it was one of the nicest urban camp spots I have ever slept in and she relaxed a bit. Urban camping is never wonderful though. We soon discovered the loudest air-conditioning unit I have ever heard and of course the road was not to far away.

We woke up on the wrong side of the sleeping bag. People were starting to move about and I wanted to get to a more legal place quickly. Jaz does not do anything quickly. I left so that I wouldn't get grumpy but ended up getting grumpy later anyway. I threw a hissy fit behind a bike shop and then made breakfast. We were both pretty grumpy when a guy pulled up in a truck. This just in “I'm turning into Dandelion (Jazes nick name for me). Pretty soon I am going to stop farting and start meditating.”
The guy with the truck owned the building and asked us if we were camping there. I started explaining what happened in our defence. It was not needed though. He started talking about when he biked across the country in '85. He helped us with our bikes and when the owner of the bike shop came in he gave us some stuff and let us use his tools. I had already met a really nice guy while preparing breakfast but didn't yet realize that it was “nice people day”.
In the course of the day every interaction we had was more then pleasant. We were even prayed for in front of a subway and stopped by a police officer “just to chat”. When Jaz saw the cop she “freaked out” and he had to turn on his lights and siren for her to stop. Jaz had just J-biked while I biked around and my thought was “Oh, Shit. Here's the end of a nice day.” It wasn't. We met many more super friendly people before the day was over.

3-11
When we woke in the morning we were low on water and in the desert. We tried to finnish our oversized portions of lentil soup I cooked the night before. We got some free lentils and so we are carrying them all. I want to dump them because they weigh so much but, hey, it's food. Also the Vitamins we are carrying, I am happy because with our somewhat spotty diet at least we know we have all of the vitamins and minarals we need. The spotty diets not so bad really. So far we find plenty of food, usually one thing at a time though. A few days ago we got 6 loafs of bread, and yesterday it was citrus for example. I have now almost doubled my original weight with citrus fruit. I have over doubled my original weight because Jaz's ankle was slightly re-injured in the accident and I am carrying a lot of her weight. The weight's not so bad until I'm biking uphill. Like yesterday, we were uphill all day. At night we discovered that we could have taken an easier route and got directions from where we were. The rest of the night was all down hill, through Yukipa. Yukipa sucked,excepting the bike shop there. We went to the library to use the internet and they had no wifi. I was shocked. Then I looked around and saw that everybody looked white trashy. I asked at reference where we could find wifi and they said there was only one place in town, far away. So we left and went to the “health food store”. I don't want to talk about it. On the way there we tried to talk to a few locals, most of whom stared at us but would not acknowledge us. We even biked up to and stopped next to a group of young adults sitting at starbucks. I said hello and they ignored us. Pretended like we weren't even there. I couldn't believe it! Then I saw a girl working at a grocery store and talked with her, she was the first person who didn't look away when I looked at them since we left the bike shop. We asked if she knew of a place we could shower and she said her friends were “not very open”. After getting kicked out of a gym trying to use their showers we took a sink bath. It felt so good. We slept in a field last night and were covered with frost in the morning. We are relaxing and taking it easy until Jaz's foot heals. Minimal biking each day.


Look at Jaz's blog for pictures. Jazart.blogspot.com

No comments: