Monday, September 29, 2008

Nervous little schoolboy

I just got on the bus for my first day of school. I arrived at the bus stop far earlier then I needed to and was feeling very unsure by the time the bus finally arrived. Stepping onto the bus I offered the driver $10. "I can't make change" he said. My heart started racing. "What should I do?" followed by another "I can't make change" had me worried. I was already going to be late for orientation. I told him it was my first time using a Boulder bus and I should be getting a bus pass tomorrow. A small fib on both accounts. I used a bus from Denver to Boulder to get here and although I would gladly buy a bus pass tomorrow when I have proof I am a student I don't have the money for it yet. I will have some money soon though. Merrin and Mom and Dad are each going to give me a few dollars. And I am saving all I am not spending on school. Jaz and I have and will continue to be couch surfing until we find a suitable place to camp or a room in exchange for work or whatever. We have been garbage, table and dumpster diving 95% of our food. The other 5% comes from foraging for acorns and free food from places like food not bombs or other events.

Bus two: After school.
I caught a ride home from school and will probably be carpooling from now on. Even so I have the feeling that I will be getting allot of productive work done waiting for and riding buses, especially throughout the winter. Jaz and I have packed our bags and are heading to our new temporary home. We will be staying in our own room for the first time since MA.

I arrived at school a little late just in time to start the getting to know you exercise. As I looked around the room I felt somewhat alone. I searched for eye contact and a warm smile and found none. It was a young, attractive, liberal minded looking group. There were over 30 altogether I think. It's not that I didn't like the group. I liked them fine. I just felt uncomfortable and I was looking for Beniot or Kristen. Someone I could be friends with even before we meet.

While going through the long and tedious orientation process I began to muse over the differences between ITM Thailand and BCMT. The first thing that struck me was that we were in chairs. Secondly was that we were in rows facing the teacher. As I was writing the list I became depressed. When they said no piercings I thought of the Spanish punks and how much I loved them... I am not going to BCMT to enjoy an ITM kind of social environment. I have to face the fact that this is the USA and people get offended at my jokes (at lunch) and need a day to go over attendance rules and dress codes. I am not going to school here to have fun. I am going to get the best education available. I think I will get an exceptional education. The staff seems very competent and the facilities although somewhat sterile have an air of academia about them. And I think I will have fun. It is a massage school after all. Once we start touching each other I am sure everyone will loosen up a little.

2 comments:

Riley said...

Be careful about what you eat from those dumpsters. When I was in Basic Training I heard of a guy in another Company getting bacterial meningitis from dumpster diving...

Anonymous said...

ah daniel, yes, do be careful with the dumpster diving...i know you have keen senses, so i shouldn't worry. blessings to you on your journey. i commend you on your ability to live in the moment, and fearlessly pursue your passions, we could all use a little less fear, and a whole lot more love.