Sunday, September 7, 2008

We're off like a herd of turtles.

Our journey begins. Jaz, Bob, Bernard and I are finally off toward Boulder CO where I will be spending a year in massage school.



Jaz and I left MA almost a month ago for a week in sunny Florida. One of my oldest and dearest friends, John Russel was getting married and I was in the wedding party. The wedding was beautiful. It was held in Sarasota at the renowned Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. While in Sarasota we stayed with Tim. One fiasco followed the next, enough so that I would prefer not to recount my stupidities. Even so I was very happy to be have the time with Tim. When Merrin drove back up to Asheville for her job interview (she did get the job and is happy with it) we accompanied her to Gainesville to visit Holt (My brother) and drove back to stay with my dad for a few days. That was the plan. The plan was formed on a whim, as always, and had many revisions before it started taking shape, as always.
It all started when I stunk up the back seat of Tim's car. I put a broken watermellon in the back seat and by the end of a hot Florida afternoon the juice that had soaked into the seat was beginning to smell something fierce. I smeared the seat with a full box of baking soda and needed Bob's shop vac to clean it up. I didn't make it on time but that's another story altogether. I had about 45 minutes to clean the car and leave to get to the wedding rehearsal on time. Somehow in the course of catching up Bob offered to move to Boulder CO with us and he and the bus would be ready to leave in a week from then. Yeah right.
I spent many of the days waiting for Bob to get ready at Marty's. Dad and Marty are both doing really well. The also have a guest, Loralea. Loralea is a 40ish year old woman with the spirit of a teenager. She spends her days playing with toys, helping Marty start a new business and hanging out with my dad. She is a blessing for both of them.
For the amount of time that I spent in FL I am disapointed with the number of my friends I saw. In the past two years of having a cell phone I have become almost dependent upon it for my social life. With out the ability to call and arrange plans I sortof gave up on trying to meet up with people. On the up side of that I spent alot of time at Marty's hanging out with Dad.
I am very happy for the time spent in Tampa/Sarasota but I am also glad to be moving again. I am amazed at the reception the bus gets. People are so happy to see us and very glad to give us their veggie oil. I will keep a blog for this month, at least until we get to Boulder CO.
Check us out at Bernardthebus.com. Jaz and I will be Jazzing up the site in a few days.

Until next time. :D

1 comment:

Riley said...

I see your 'green' bus and raise you a black one that spews out poisonous gas.