Wednesday, June 4, 2008

DC, Delaware, Philly, and NYC!

After a nice hike with Rob, Jack, Riley, Nevada, and Blue in Monongahela National Forest I took a ride to our great nations capital. The ride was nice, all of Jack's friends are really good people and we had alot to talk about. The Man is putting Rob up in a nice little hotel near Dupont Circle. In the morning I shit, showerd, and shaved, needing to look my best for my hitch hike to Newark Delaware. I headed downstairs and asked the way to I-95. The woman at the desk was compleatly befuddled. A man gave me a map and explained where I was, where I was going and how long it would take. I was walking? "No, look's like I can get a ride here at the circle." I said "Thank You". They were stuned. I walked out with 2 backpacks. One hanging off my front, one off my back. When I arrived at Dupont Circle I saw 2 cute girls who looked like my kind of people. I asked them how to get to I-95 and they explained how to use public transport to get there but since Maire lived right where I was going so she decided to take me there. The girls were a riot. Marie was a hopeless driver. She spent half of the time proud that she stumbled into the right place and the other half was divided between criticizing other drivers and wondering where she was. There was something endearing about the way she drove, maybe it was just her voice. She never shut up. When we arrived at a gas station an exit out of town we exchanged contact information and I gave Maire the kiss I lost in a bet.

I was only at the gas station about 5 minutes when I nice kid with the look of a traveler walked by and I asked him where he was going. "Your not crazy are you" he asked. "Probably, but not dangerous" I answered. He was going to Philidalphia and so he could take me all the way to Newark Delaware where I could meet up with Jordan. Willy was a traveling musician. His goal was to play in every continental state and had already played in most of them. He was from California and everywhere he went people told him how "ballsy" he was. He was impressed that I was hitchhiking and thought that that was much more ballsy. I explained to him how I would look for people with a certein look in their eyes and then I would ask them for a ride. My traveling is all about finding people with open minds and going from there. I think he appreiciated my outlook and was happy he gave me a ride. I offed to pay for all the tolls but he split them with me. I wish I could remember more details about him, like how long he had been out for and how old he was (26?) but it seems like a life time ago now. Time is funny.

Jordan and I know eachother from the Himalayan Institute. We both arrived in July together and lived in the Mens dorm for a month. At the time it stuck me how much like I used to be Jordan was then. An interesting thing to note now is that I was suppressing all of my Jordan like characteristics at the time. Now we are much more similar then we were then.
Jordan actualy arrived the day before I did. That is to say that he was moving in to this new house. Ironicly I helped him arrange his furniture and assemble his grill. It was as if my moving karma had followed me from moms to pick up where I left off. Mom didn't have bear and deer heads to hang on the wall so unpacking with her would not have been as much fun.
The next morning Jordan and I drove to Philly. Jordan is starting a bussness and was attending a venture capatilist workshop. I was along for the ride. The first stop was off Market Street. I walked around for hours and watched people before coming upon a guided tour. A local high school class was being dragged around and talked at about some stupid shit they don't care about, but for me it was a free tour about our fascinating history. I was a little disapointed in the state of our education when this class of seniors didn't know what a sentry post was. I didn't get to far along when Jordan called me for lunch. On the menu for the day was the famous Philly Cheese Steak! The guy in front of me ordered a "Philly Cheese Steak". The cook mustered up the haughtiest voice he could mannage and said "what kind?" The guy was stumped, he fumbled on through. Obviously a looser. I walk up and said "wiz with" and stood there trying to look cool although I was totally confused. That was it! I did it! So let me tell you of the glory that is a Philly Cheese Steak. First you need an over sized hot dog bun that is made of no less then 30% cardboard and is at least 3 days past it's expiration a can of cheese wiz and some "steak". I don't really know what the steak or the cheese wiz is made of but I am guessing it is not all cow or milk. Chopping up the steak on the grill into fine pieces with a blunt long bladed spatula made me think the steak might have been made of rubber. Not the fake plasitc rubber they use now a day, I think these guys were spending a pretty penny on the real stuff. Sliding the meat gracefully into the bun and slapping some wiz on top and wala! It was a culinary experience unlike any other.
For the rest of the day I walked around on and around South St. One of the most striking features was the abundance of sex shops. They weren't your ordinary sketchy sex shops though they where actually impressively classy. I got a personal tour of "advanced" S&M department of one of the shops. Some of it was a little to far out there for me, but I definitely want to learn more about kinky sex. For educational purposes only of course. Also of note was the magic garden, and more seriously the tomb of the unknown solider in washington square park. The American dream is so beautiful. I am struck by what we used to stand for and think it's a shame how far from our ideals we have strayed.
After another night in Delaware Jordan and I took a ride to NYC. Another venture capital seminar. This time Jordan was going to be presenting a sales pitch. It was only 2 minutes so he didn't really prepare for it. I tried to help him by typing what he was saying but I was feeling nauseous for some reason and couldn't look at the computer. I started driving so that he could use the computer in New Jersey. I talked to the man who filled our tank, he was very nice but totally buys all of the American propaganda about the middle east. I wonder how much education he has? Anyway, leaving Jersey coming into New York across the Lincoln tunnel was a very stressful event for me. Rather then trying to explain the mess you can look at this overhead of the situation. I had a semi on one side and a mean looking lady in a minivan on the other. Jordan is screaming "Don't hit the semi" when the lady in the mini van merged into me. My mirror folded in but there was no damage. I continued through NYC until we were a block away. At that point we did a Chinese fire drill and Jordan found a place to park.
It feels like a lifetime has passed since then, to much has happened here to hope to write down a fraction of it and to start would be overwhelming at this point. So, until next time. But don't worry it has been good!

No comments: