Sunday, February 24, 2008

3.15 to infinity

The end of my trip to Pai was excellent. I did a yoga class at Mam's Yoga. Mam is an "eccentric" Thai woman who spent some time in India and became a Hindu and has been practicing yoga for 36 years. I enjoyed her allot. Before class started she was kidding around with me and I tickle attacked her. The ice was broken. The class was less then excellent though. I can of course blame myself for this to some extent. Mam got in the center of the room and did asana with very little direction and no corrections. After 8 years of practice this is not a problem for me, but the girl to my right was obviously new and after the second time she fell over I could not concentrate on myself alone. I spent more time then I would have liked telling her what to do. I did realize however that I may be more competent to teach then I was. I am thinking about offering a class on yogic cleansing exercises here in chiang mai.
The other highlight of the trip was yoga ball by the river. I will post pictures when I get them from Kristen.

I was laying in bed thinking. Used to be so hard on my self. I hardly slept or ate for years. I torchered myself in the name of yoga and the only thing that kept me from falling over were the hours and hours of asana and concentration practices I did. Then I realized I needed to relax a little. But some times I feel maybe I relaxed to much? Anyway, I decided to try an early morning practice. I will wake at 4am and do yoga. I had planed a date the night of the first day. Of course girls are the reason I ever do anything I know is bad for myself. I thought "after tonight I will stop going out" except on the weekends when I will take a yoga break as mike has always suggested. The date went well and I woke up for practice. The next day I met a girl that was to much to say no to, then another girl who has been flirting with me became more outright, and another... Such is karma. I think 5 girls, friends, school and yoga is too much?





On the school front I am now a student teacher! It's so nice to know what I am doing compared to the people I am working with. It gives me a sense that I have been doing well this whole time, even when I felt completely lost. Also by going over the basics and helping others learn I get to review and catch the things that I missed the first time through.





What I miss more than anything is native English speakers... I only have one friend here who is a native. It is very interesting however to see how non-native speakers use the language. There tend to be common mistakes regardless of whether the speaker is native to french, Spanish, Italian, or German. Some people pretend they understand what your saying all then time and some just refuse to talk about anything more then what is necessary. It is sad not to be able to talk with people about what they care deeply about. It changes my standard mode of relationships dramatically, and limits how close I can feel with some people. I never realized that my main form of entertainment is conversation.

Blogger is sucking with picture uploads... I have just spent an hour trying to upload pictures and have nothing to show for it :( I will try again later.

No comments: