Sunday, June 19, 2011

A day at work, or a few hours at least.

Yesterday was a chill day, maybe a little too chill for my pocketbook. I had two students cancel class so I only worked about 4 hours.

I woke up this morning somewhere around late o'clock. My first student was one of my cancellations. After my morning class I rushed back home hoping that my couchsurfers would still be home. They had already left so I took a nap.
I woke up just in time to run off to have a quick lunch of 饺子 (dumplings) before getting to work. I don't know if they were exceptionally excellent or if I was just hungry... They are always pretty good.

Both of my students yesterday are really bright interesting people. The first student is a middle aged gentlemen from Beijing. His English is really pretty good except for the fact that you can't understand him through his think accent half of the time. He also has difficulties catching long sentences. He works for two companies presently. One of them is a joint venture between Pannier and a Chinese government owned company. He is working on GMO rice with that company. The other company is working on making a 'natural' artificial sweetner. Because his boss is the chairman of both of these companies he is only getting paid by Pannier, and for this reason Pannier has told him that he has to choose between them. The three main factors in his decision were money, position, and politics. Choosing the Chinese company he has been offered a little less money, a much higher position (vice president) and the sense of ease that comes along with knowing that he is working to strengthen China rather then to help "westerners" control the worlds entire seed bank.
I have only had two classes with the second student so I don't know much about him yet. When I asked him about government censorship he made a pretty strong stand in favor of censorship. More to come on that I am sure.

After work I went out to dinner with my surfers and lost my cell phone... I am not happy about it. Don't really want to talk about it actually...

2 comments:

dick said...

well, Daniel, it's good to hear from you, even if you're not doing yoga and on the top of your game. I'm looking for the right week to take my mom *(Deedie) to W VA to see your mom. We're excited about it. Probably in late August. It's hot here in Tampa, and hardly any rain yet.

dick said...

Dick, above, was really Ginny. Love you!