Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ok, now for a history lesson. The topic of todays lesson will be "The life and times of Daniel Clough". Oh, wait...

You will all be glad to hear that I am doing very well in my search for employment and stable living in China. (I can say this because I am sure my enemies do not bother reading my blog)
In a stroke of fortune a friend knew of a place that was opening up the day before I had to move out of my apartment. Not only am I lucky to have found a place on such short notice for a good price, the landlord is her friend and she talked him into letting me pay only for the first month instead of the normal 3 months plus deposit. This is crucial because I do not have money for 3 months plus the deposit.
The search for gainful employment is also going well. So far I have one class teaching in a kindergarten so far and an endless stream of people calling, texting, emailing, msning, qqing or offering me work at random restaurants. I have 1 interview and 3 sample classes this week. Each sample class is pretty much a guaranteed placement, but they are all one on one classes once or twice a week. The interviewer seems desperate. It's a kindergarten looking for a full time morning placement. They were offering 100/hr and I said "No way! I wouldn't wake up ass early in the morning for less then 150/hr!" The next day they called me and said they could pay more!
On top of all that I am also doing piece work for HHS in exchange for Free Chinese Classes. Well really the lessons are free conditional on my friendship with the boss and the piece work is free offered as a condition of my desire to hang out in the office, use the internet and chat with my friends there...

Ok. Here is a blog I wrote for HHS and posted today.

My month as an au pair.

In preparation for HHS sending au pairs to Lan Zhou I have been given the unique opportunity of staying with a family for one month!

I was picked up at the air port by the mother and the customer service representative from HHS. The drive from the airport was surprisingly long. As we drove I got briefed on the town, the family, and the local HHS branch. When we arrived at the house workers were setting up my room. The family had to buy a bed and a desk to convert a hallway ‘room’ into a bedroom. It is a nice room, a little small, but big enough. I usually practice yoga and kung fu before bed and when I wake up and Bob, the 9 year old son comes into my room to practice with me. There is enough room for the two of us and it is so cute.

If have not seen the chart of the au pair adjustment chart I suggest you take a look at it. The first week is called the Pink Cloud Phase, or something like that. Having traveled and adjusted myself to many new situations I am well aware of this curve. The pink cloud phase is great. My first week was perfect, as expected. The family was so excited that I was here and the kids were excited to practice their English and learn! Walking around town everything is new, and being in a smaller city people always look at me and often shout “Hello!” as I pass by, and the family is so happy to show me their home. We ate out every day, trying all of the best foods that Lan Zhou has to offer, and let me tell you, Lan Zhou has a lot to offer. The most famous food is Beef Noodles or 牛肉面. All of my friends in Beijing have asked me, “Have you tried the noodles!?!” Yes, they are that good. I look forward to trying them when I get back to Beijing to taste the difference. Apparently it’s the water here that makes them so good. The best beef noodle shop in town is not that impressive, not like the fancy restaurant that we went to the next night. We met some friends and sat around a traditional round table with a spinning center piece. The food is set in the center and everyone eats either directly from the center or loads their plates from there. The setting was exquisite, the food was divine, and we had three waitresses to fill our cups and care for our every need. After dinner I ran around the restaurant with Bob, Sam, and their friend from school. We played hide and seek and other games as the adults talked.

Good food, nice people, interesting life… What more could I ask for?




P.S. I tried the beef noodles here in Beijing at two restaurants... Not so good.

No comments: