Friday, April 30, 2010

A story of tragedy and woe.

Ahh. The good life.
Bob and I were well on our way to Alaska. Life is good, practically there... Only about 5,000 miles to go!

Out of Elkins towards Parkersburg we stopped at a small town gas station and I put on my stilts... I thought about the rainbows I have seen spanging at gas stations. I thought "surely if they can get around begging for money I could get money for stilt walking and entertaining people"... Mmmmaybe. Bob worked on some things as I walked around and talked with people. I can't beg for money. I don't know if it's pride or what? I tell myself that I don't want to create an attitude of neediness in myself or more sense of aversion to strangers in others. I don't know but I couldn't ask, so I walked around and talked with people took pictures with a family and what not. These people are poor I told myself, wait till you get to a big city. I did make $1. "Five dollars for a picture" I joked. "All I have is a one." "I'll take it!" I hate money. I think this is also why I am not on food stamps.
Anyway, on through anytown USA (I mean Columbus OH) where the police are as thick as mosquitoes in summertime and just as pesky. We did not get to dumpster at TJ's because there were cops guarding it. We did get some cheese out of WFM and TONS of bread, great egg pies, and cookies from Panera's though. The next day is when I officially gave up sweets for the rest of the trip. If your passing though Ft Wayne check out the fort! You can't miss it.
We pulled into Chicago, passing through the southern industrial district. It was like a sci-fi horror scene. And into South Chicago. I had to pee something fierce so we pulled into a gas station on Indianapolis Blvd. A very nice man who was walking by and singing to himself stopped to chat. While I was bathroom he asked Bob if we needed anything. He was offering "weed". "What's that", Bob said. "Pot, grass, Marijuana." he said. "Oh, I've heard of that." said Bob. "We also got that crack", he offered, "it will take you straight to heaven." I came out around this point and he gave me a lolipop, we said our good byes, and we were off.

Putptpt Ptptpt stall... and we coasted into a parking spot.

Awe shit.

We sat there, in sketch town, not knowing if we would start back up, looking at each other. "It's perfect that this would happen now." "Because we are so close to Tristan's?" "No because we are in the gettho of Chicago." I looked around, "Bob has a different sense of perfection then I do." I thought.

The van DID start back up! With fumes pouring out of our engine compartment, crawling towards our destination at a snails pace...

No comments: